HOUSING INSTABILITY & MCKINNEY VENTO HOMELESS ASSISTANCE ACT
ELIGIBLE CHILDREN HAVE THE RIGHT TO:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were lastenrolled), if that is your preference. * If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students,according to your children’s needs.
IN DEPT OF EDUCATION - McKinney-Vento Homeless Children and Youth Program